||2003-03-04 09:38:37 EST
||Adding Collections to collmgr, Bibliographic Class
||$Revision: 1.6 $
Adding Collections to collmgr, Bibliographic Class
The collection database for
Bibliographic Class and all other classes is managed through the collmgr program.
The collmgr application mediates access to creating and updating the metadata,
and has online, in-context documentation, for example, the DLPS implementation
of collmgr documentation.
This documentation notes fields that are "required," as well as the types
of values that each field supports. In those cases where a field uses the
reserved keyword "default," a system-supplied default value or function is
used. For example, in Bibliographic Class, if "default" is used for short
filter, records will be displayed according to the rules used in the
default Bibliographic Class short filter.
For most of your Bibliographic Class collections, you will add the following
fields. The instructions below assume a sample collection named "nyt". Please
replace these sample names with your local filenames.
- collid = [The unique ID string used for the collection, e.g.,] nyt
- collname = [The collection name as it will appear on the cross-collection
results lists, in the collection picker (sorted alphabetically), and on
the home page for the collection, e.g.,] Historical Index to the New
York Times (1863-1905)
- homesite = [The URL for the host webserver hosting the middleware,
- host = [The host name for the machine hosting the collection
data and data indexes, e.g.,] www.hti.umich.edu
- webdir = [The directory path relative to DLXSROOT for the collection
(usually in the form /c/collid), e.g.,] /n/nyt
- objdir = [The directory where text/image objects are stored,
- map = [The location of the TerminologyMapper map file for the
collection, e.g.,] nyt.map [or default]
- port = [The access port for the XPAT daemon on the machine identified
in "host" above. Only necessary for collections where data and indexes
are on a different machine than the middleware, e.g.,] 620
- appmodule = [The module name (without .pm suffix) of the Application
Object or subclass thereof supporting the basic application functionality
for the Bibliographic Class middleware, e.g.,] BibApp
- subclassmodule = [The name of the subclass module (without the ".pm" suffix)
that defines the subclass of the Bibliographic Class object for the collection,
- primarytitle = [The first title (or graphical banner) that appears
at the top of the initial web page, e.g.,] text:Historical Index to
the New York Times (1863-1905)
- minmaxyearstart = [The minimum valid year value to be used to
check user input for date searches, e.g.,] 1912
- minmaxyearend = [The maximum valid year value to be used to check
user input for date searches, e.g.,] 2002
- dddir = [The directory containing the XPAT dd file or files (specified
in the dd field) for the collection, e.g.,] /n/nyt
- dd = [A list of one or more XPAT .dd files for the collection.
Their location is specified by the dddir field, e.g.,] nyt.dd
- regionsearch = [The regions which are retrieved for Boolean searches
(minimally, "entire record"), e.g.,]
- entire record
Submit your changes and check them in.
You must also create templates for the new collection. For more information
on creating and altering templates, please see Creating
and Editing HTML/Template Files.
You may also add new fields, not previously defined. For more information
on adding new searchable fields, please see Adding
New Searchable Fields.
You may also wish to create special filtering routines for the new
collection. For more information on creating and editing filters, please see Creating
and Editing Filtering Routines.