||2004-01-08 10:24:01 EST
||DLXS System Requirements
||$Revision: 1.8 $
DLXS System Requirements
A web server that supports Apache sessions. We recommend Apache 1.3.26 or higher.
OpenSP 1.5 or higher (for using the supplied tools to prepare SGML and/or XML content for delivery via DLXS).
- Supported platforms
- Platforms in active development. We currently develop and/or deploy
live material on these platforms:
- Solaris SPARC 2.6 or higher
- Red Hat Linux Intel 8.0 or higher
- Disk space requirements
- DLXS Middleware: 10 MB to store the libraries and programs that make
up the working DLXS system.
- Content: This varies dramatically according to the amount and format
of your material. For a collection of significant scale, the storage requirements
will be dominated by the number of page images and/or continuous tone
images--SGML and metadata are quite small in comparison. DLXS allows you to store
the middleware and the content in different locations to simplify system
- Required capabilities and software
- root access (to change aspects of the environment, e.g., directory and file permissions, web server configuration, etc.)
- Perl 5.6.1 or higher. Perl 5.8.3 or higher is required to support Unicode UTF-8 functionality.
- The following Perl modules (where
versions are given, DLXS requires that version or higher):
- Apache::Session 1.54
- CGI 2.91
- Carp 1.01
- Cwd 2.06
- DBD::CSV 0.2002
- DBD::mysql 2.1026
- DBI 1.35
- Exporter 5.566
- File::Basename 2.71
- File::Copy 2.05
- File::Find 1.04
- File::Path 1.05
- FileHandle 2.01
- Getopt::Std 1.03
- HTML::Parser 3.27
- HTML::Template 2.6
- IPC::Open3 1.0104
- LWP::Simple 1.36
- Mail::Mailer 1.58
- Mail::Send 1.58
- MIME::Base64 2.18
- Net::hostent 1
- POSIX 1.05
- Socket 1.75
- SQL::Statement 1.005
IMPORTANT NOTE: The SQL::Statement version 1.005 Perl module is not backward
compatible with version 0.1021, our previous requirement. Version 0.1021 was typical
of Perl version 5.6.1 whereas 1.005 is typical of Perl 5.8.0. We recommend you install
Perl 5.8.0 and SQL::Statement 1.005 or higher and follow the workarounds below as
necessary. (These workarounds may not be required when SQL::Statement 1.006 becomes
- Functions normally with either 0.1021 or 1.005
- Functions normally moving CSV to MySQL under either 1.005 or 0.1021
- Incorrectly uppercases column names when moving MySQL to CSV under 1.005. The
workaround is to lower case the resulting column names using an ascii editor.
- Fails completely under 0.1021 moving CSV to MySQL or vice versa.
- upgrade_1_2, upgrade_2_3
- Functions normally upgrading a MySQL database under either 1.005 or 0.1021
- Incorrectly uppercases column names when upgrading CSV under 1.005. The workaround
is to lower case the resulting column names using an ascii editor.
- Storable 2.07
- Symbol 1.04
- Text::CSV_XS 0.23
- URI 1.23
- XML::LibXSLT 1.53
- XML::LibXML 1.53
Note that XML::LibXML and XML::LibXSLT are not required unless you configure a collection's collmgr rendering field to xslt.
- For database management
- MySQL for Image Class metadata (version 4.0.2 or newer strongly recommended for full functionality. version 3.23.23 is minimally required.) Use of MySQL for Image Class requires MySQL to be used with Collmgr as well.
- MySQL for storing session data and/or collection data (Collmgr) (any stable production version 3.23.23 or newer)
- For page image viewing
- c42pdf for displaying TIFF images in PDF format (free)
- tif2web for displaying TIFF images
in GIF and/or PNG format (free)
- For JPEG2000-compressed continuous tone image viewing
- a JPEG2000 encoding tool such as kdu_compress that supports batch encoding of images (provided to DLXS subscribers and readily available at Kakadu Software)
- kdu_expand for expanding and displaying
JPEG2000-compressed images (provided to DLXS subscribers and readily available at Kakadu Software)
- cjpeg for use in conjunction with kdu_expand for JPEG2000 web delivery (available as part of libjpeg)
- For MrSID-compressed continuous tone image viewing
- a MrSID encoding product such as MrSIDGeo that supports batch encoding of images (not free)
- mrsid_retrieve for displaying
MrSID-encoded images in JPEG format (free)
We appreciate hearing from you if you encounter other system requirements.
Please contact the author for
additions and suggestions.