Migration of Image Class to DLXS 11
Summary of Middleware Changes That Affect Data Preparation
Image Class is backward compatible with DLXS 10 collection metadata and image file index directories. When updating a collection,
it is important to know that collection metadata and the index directory for a collection should be released in synchronized fashion.
Reprocessed descriptive metadata are not compatible with old index dir. Collections with only MrSID files and JPEG thumbnails are the exception.
- MySQL is supported in addition to XPAT for searching collection metadata.
- JPEG2000 is supported in addition to MrSID. Behavior is identical. JPEG2000 command line compression/decompression utilities are provided.
- Configuration of field abbreviations and labels, as well as the mapping of fields for cross-collection searching, is now done in Collmgr.
Collectionmaps.pm and makeCollectionmaps-idx are no lnger used.
- The form of field abbreviations has changed. "dots" are no longer allowed. SGML may continue to have dots, no need to redo data.
As field abbreviations are migrated to Collmgr they must have "dots" converted to underscores.
- The Collmgr field "dfltsrchflds" now must include an abbreviation in the form "collid_all" to enable searching of the entire record.
This field should be mapped to ic_all in the field_xcoll_maps Collmgr field for full record searching in across collections.
- MySQL table structure for Portfolios has changed for increased data stability.
- Media support has been improved. Practically any form of media (QuickTime, Flash, MP3) can be included in Image Class. Level of support varies. Configuration of imageprep has changed significantly.
Basic Image Class Collection Migration to DLXS 11
To migrate Image Class collection from DLXS 10 to DLXS 11 the following must be done at a minimum.
- Field labels for each collection must be configured in Collmgr.
- Field labels for each group must be configured in Collmgr.
- Field abbreviations embedded within locally customized web templates must have "dots" changed to underscores.
- If Portfolio functionality has been in use, the Portfolio table must be upgraded.
Making the Collmgr Changes
Very significant changes have been made to the form and format of Image Class data in the Collection Database (Collmgr).
Collectionmaps.pm and the makeCollectionmaps-idx script are no longer used. Metadata field configrations are done in Collmgr.
- The "dot" character is no longer allowed in field abbreviations. All "dot" characters must be converted to underscore
in the following Collmgr fields: sortflds, dfltentryflds, dfltresentryflds, dfltsrchflds, thumbnailresflds, thumbfullresflds, reslistresflds.
- Three new fields have been added for metadata field configuration: field_labels,
field_xcoll_maps (cross collection field mappings), field_adminmaps (ID and filename field mappings). See the help text in Collmgr for more info.
Two scripts have been provided to facilitate these tasks.
usage: getFlds.pl collid: Extracts field abbrevs and labels from existing SGML file and writes the output to files (collid_field_labels.txt, collid_field_xcoll_maps.txt) in the collection's prep directory.
The output is formatted for use in collmgr.
usage: putFlds.pl collid: Inserts output of getFlds.pl into appropriate Collmgr record. putFlds.pl also converts "dot" characters to underscore
in the following Collmgr fields: dfltentryflds, dfltresentryflds, dfltsrchflds, thumbnailresflds, thumbfullresflds, reslistresflds.
Note: Missing from this list is "sortFlds",
which must have "dot" characters converted manually (for good but not memorable reasons). putFlds.pl depends on value of DLPS_DEV environment variable in shell to decide whether
to write to "release" ( DLPS_DEV = 1 ) or "production" (DLPS_DEV not set) Collmgr row.