Release Notes for DLXS Release 12a - 15
DLXS Release 12a is
an interim release of DLXS release 12. TextClass is substantially
identical to release 12 except for bug fixes as noted below.
FindaidClass has seen more extensive bug fixes primarily in the
XSL as noted below. BibClass incorporates additional
functionality around MODS and SRU. ImageClass has undergone CSS
enhancements and some functional improvements in the Perl
Release 12a is comprised of:
- If this is a first-time install of DLXS it is necessary to
lowercase the column headings in all of the CSV files under
/misc/db before you run DLXSROOT/bin/db/dbmove to populate the
MySQL database or run using the CSV database natively. Use a
text editor for this purpose. Field names need be lowercase to
be compatible with the underlying middleware. This problem is
due to a difference between SQL::Statement 1.005 and 0.1021.
Database Installation Notes
There are four new fields
in 12a. There is no upgrade script for 12 to 12a. Instead, in
certain cases, you will use collmgr to add these fields to your
existing database as described below.
- Field (optional): authsystems: by default, does not
have to be added. You must add it via collmgr with the
appropriate values if you choose to subclass the new AuthNZ
module to support an authentication/authorization system based
on other than the AUTHZ_COLL, REMOTE_USER and PUBLIC_COLL
environment variables. This field is a member of the
Collection table (all classes).
- Field (optional): range_srchfields: specifies the
fields to be used for date range searching. This is beta
functionality in Image Class. This field is a member of the
ImageClass table. Add it using collmgr if you want to
use the functionality.
- Field (optional): privileged_users: lists IDs for
users with special privileges allowing access to images
otherwise restricted or limited by size. This field is a member
of the ImageClass table. Add it using collmgr if you
want to use the functionality.
- Field (optional): browseupdatemodule: specifies the
name of the browse update Perl module. This is analogous to
e.g. the appmodule and subclassmodule fields.
This field supersedes a Perl configuration hash used in release
12. If you plan to use dynamic browsing you must add this field
using collmgr to the Collection table (all classes).
The module files are located in DLXSROOT/bin/browse.
If a dynamic browse page is to be served this field must have a
value. The default behavior is available using one of the
values BrowseUpdate/ImageMysqlBU or
BrowseUpdate/FindaidBU for ImageClass and FindaidClass,
respectively. The TextClass values depend on the
encodingtype of the collection. For
monograph, serialissue or
serialarticle the values are
BrowseUpdate/SerialArticleBU, respectively. Newspapers
are a specialization of the serialissue encoding type.
New and Changed Functionality
- The authentication module AuthNZ.pm was added supporting the
Athens Access Management auth system. It is also extensible to
support other authentication/authorization systems via
- Fixed a problem in the file
DLXSROOT/lib/DlpsSession.pm. The manifestations are: 1) loss of
search history 2) loss of bookbag contents 3) inability to
progress through different "slices" of results. Since search
history, bookbag and sort order of results are all saved in the
session, the fact that a new session was being created each time
the middleware ran lost whatever might have been saved in the
- Added the ability, at install-time, to choose sendmail or smtp to deliver mail from
- Renamed cached xml files in pageviewer, to solve a browser
caching condition that prevented some users from changing
- Lots of small xsl fixes. Some related to
displaying kwics in detail views in scopedivs.xsl are
- XPAT support removed. Significant reduction of code and
more effective and efficient use of MySQL. All image collections
must now use MySQL.
- The value of the appmodule field in Collmgr must be set to "ImageApp" for all Image Class collections. Failure to do so will likely result in the middleware failing to run with errors regarding "mysqlImageApp.pm" not being found.
- Class object added, finally making Image Class a "class"
in terms of object oriented code.
- CSS improvements. Most notably affecting the processing of
the display header. Local customizations of display header CSS and
XSL will need some basic migration work. Added the ability to have
page/view specific CSS overrides. In general, more cosmetic
customizations can be done in CSS without touching the XSL or Perl.
- Several interface improvements, primarily in the area of
results display. Fixed header display, better "image with full
"previous" link functionality for portfolios.
- Search result identifiers are no longer cached on the session.
These changes address subtle but serious problems introduced with
storage of the session ID in a cookie rather than on a URL parameter.
The problems were only apparent when paging to next/previous items
based on separate searches in two windows of a browser.
- Query building module rewritten for Image Class.
- Beta version of date range searching.
- SRU functionality added. A new program called "sru" will
search bibclass databases using SRU commands and return XML. We
have already implemented OAIster; implementing other bibclass
databases should be fairly simple.
- The database version (5) for 12a is identical to 12 with the
exceptions noted in Database Know Problems.
- Lots of xsl fixes, mostly display of different content in
different views: accessrestrict in container list, extent in top
level did, creator, chronlists in tables, highlighting of hits,
unitdate within unittitle, eventgrps and events
- Fixes of bugs including calculation and display of number
of collections and finding aids, better browsing using creator.
- A new version 1.0.4. Rectangle highlighting for word coordinate highlighting uses.
- A METS pageturner--this is something we've been working on
and is not yet officially in production, but we'll include it in
this release. We developed this pageturner to work with the
materials that Google is scanning, but the very simple design
should work with just about any METS documents and accompanying
XSLT and CSS files. It's a prototype, so it is optimized for
our environment--for instance, it queries our Aleph OPAC via the
XServer, and also queries a MySQL rights database for each