DLXS software consists of two components. The
first component is the DLXS middleware, available as a free Open
Source resource. The second component is the XPAT search engine,
available in two versions. One version of the search engine (XPAT)
is licensed and available for a fee. The other version (XPAT Lite)
is freely available but has a limit on the size of the data which
can be indexed. Information on the availability of each, as well
as proposed enhancements, is included below. For more on DLXS and
classes, please see the DLXS Prospectus.)
See also the XPAT licensing
contract and the DLXS
- Up to date for the current release listed below.
- Links to documentation for previous releases of DLXS.
- Covers class middleware and XPAT tool set.
XPAT version 5.3.2
- Supersedes and backward-compatible with versions 5.2.3, 5.3.0.
- Support for both "valid" and "well-formed" XML indexing.
- Linux (Intel) and Solaris (Sparc) binaries.
- Unicode support.
- Supports UTF-8 encoded data within the Basic Multilingual
Plane (Plane 0).
- Available in the licensed version of XPAT only.
- XPAT version 5.3.8 is available on a request-only basis. It was created in 2013 to ensure its functionality on newer operating systems. Please send email to DLXS Info or contact John Weise at 734.764-8074 for further information.
XPAT Lite version 5.3.0
- Same functionality as standard XPAT but:
- Data size is limited to 10 meg.
- No Unicode support.
- Freely available. See Fee section below.
- Download XPAT Lite 5.3.0 here
Current OAI Tools Package Open Source Releases
Current and Past DLXS Middleware Open Source Releases
DLXS / XPAT Fees
An institution may choose to license XPAT (available
on CDROM) or use the freely available XPAT Lite software (downloadable
from this website). It may also choose to subscribe to DLXS or
The ongoing DLXS subscription fee entitles the
- Vote on and propose DLXS development directions.
- Receive middleware updates on CDROM.
- On-call support via phone, email and post.
There are four possibilities.
- Full XPAT + DLXS
- Includes full XPAT functionality
and full benefits of DLXS membership. One time XPAT license fee (1a)/(1b) +
ongoing DLXS subscription fee (2a)/(2b).
Lite + DLXS
- Includes XPAT Lite functionality and full benefits
of DLXS membership. No XPAT fee + ongoing DLXS subscription fee (2a)/(2b).
- Includes full XPAT functionality without DLXS
participation/support. Middleware downloads from website. One time XPAT
license fee (1a)/(1b).
- XPAT Lite functionality without DLXS participation/support.
Middleware and XPAT Lite downloads from website. No cost.
The ongoing DLXS subscription will be charged
at a rate of $5,000 per year.
This rate is charged regardless of the number of installations of
the search engine (in the case where the institution elects to license
XPAT). Support is made available to a single designated representative
of the institution. The rate of $5,000 per year is applied to the
first representative/membership within an institution; additional
memberships within a single institution are charged at the lesser
rate of $3000.  Should a licensing institution choose to
discontinue participation in the DLXS, it may continue to use XPAT
and is still bound by the terms of the license for the XPAT engine.
An institution that has ceased its membership in DLXS is no longer
entitled to CDROM updates of middleware or support for that middleware.
The freely available DLXS XPAT Lite toolset may
be downloaded from this web site. Taken together with the middleware
this affords an opportunity to use DLXS software with smaller data
sets (e.g., indexes are built for source files up to 10 megabytes
in size). However, support for the middleware is not available under
this option. We encourage your organization to become a DLXS subscriber
and thereby participate in shaping and contributing resources to
the continued development of DLXS.
A one-time cost of $15,000 is charged for
licensing the fully functional XPAT toolset.
This entitles the subscribing institution to install XPAT on a single
server (and to use an additional copy on a backup or development
server).  Additional copies of
the search engine will be available to the licensing institution
at a reduced rate of $12,000.
instance, per single computer
instances, per single computer
representative, per year
additional representatives within an institution, per year
number of instances
 The University
of Michigan will not implement mechanisms to police institutions,
but evidence of a violation of the XPAT contract will result in suspension
of the institution's license and forfeiture of XPAT. The University
of Michigan is contractually compelled to enforce compliance with
the terms of the XPAT license through our agreement with Open Text.
 For example,
if a large institution wishes to install additional search engines
in other parts of the organization at the lower rate, it must either
use a single designated representative for all support, or it may
pay fees for additional representatives and thus secure support for
each of these representatives.
For more information about DLXS, please send email to DLXS
Info or contact John Weise at 734.764-8074.